Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Rinse and Spit



For those of you who have never known the joy (I mean horror) of having a root canal, I thought I would share this lovely picture with you. (Dr. Denbar said I am the first of his patients in 34 years to ever ask for a picture). Yep, that is me behind the old lady sunglasses. Does Dr. Denbar remind you of Dr. Phil or is it just my medication that makes me think so?

Anyway, I spent my day off (Lauren goes to preschool on Tuesdays and Thursdays) in the dentist chair. After 2 hours and 10 minutes, I felt like a brand new person -- NOT!

I do have to say that Dr. Denbar does an amazing job and is very patient with me (I need lots of breaks because of my TMJ). I should be the poster child for flossing and staying away from sugar! The only thing I can compare the experience of a root canal with is that of labor. Some may say I am over-reacting. But when you have TMJ and you have to wear the contraption pictured above, it can make for a very unpleasant experience. Thank goodness for my iPod which provides much needed distraction. I actually rocked out to Stevie Ray Vaughn and found the strength and where withall to raise my "Hook 'Em horns" sign when the Texas Fight song played. Yes, I have the Texas Fight song on my iPod as all self-respecting Longhorns should.

For the past year I have been working with Dr. Denbar to treat my TMJ and replace old fillings. I actually have a 10-step written plan we have been following. I am almost there! Thank goodness. I think Dr. Denbar will probably be enjoying a month long vacation and adding on to his house with all the $$$ he is making off my poor teeth.

Now off to floss!

Kelli

2 comments:

Alicia said...

Kelli,
That does not even sound fun! But I love that you were jammin' to Stevie Ray and the Texas Fight Song!! You're making me have to run and floss now too!!

Anonymous said...

After talking with you today I just had to check this out and I can't believe all the things I found out on the blog that we did not talk about today. I promise to check it out daily.
Take care and thanks for the great birthday card.
Love and friendship,
Joyce