Wednesday, May 21, 2008

March for Babies -- It's a wrap!

More than 8,000 people took part in March for Babies 2008. It was a wonderful and emotional day for my family and for 100s of other families that celebrated the health of their children. It also served as an opportunity for many families to memorialize their babies that are no longer with us today.

I am frequently asked when I think I will quit putting so much of my time and energy into the March of Dimes. Jackson is seven now and Lauren is five. The months in the NICU are far behind us. But the memories of the days, weeks and months following Jackson's early birth have stayed with me. The wound has healed, but the scar will always be there to remind me of what we went through.

I continue to invest a great deal of my time into the March of Dimes in hopes of helping the 1,000 mothers in Texas who will have a preterm baby this week and the seven mothers in Texas who lost their preterm baby this week. That is what keeps me motivated to keep fundraising.

I am pleased to report that our family team raised $7,340 and we are anticipating another $450 in corporate matching dollars! I believe strongly in the mission of the March of Dimes and I thank you all so much for supporting my efforts! A special thank you to those that registered for March for Babies and helped raise money for this important cause. And, thank you to all of you who forwarded my donation request to your friends and family. Your efforts helped me reach more people, raise more money and educate others about premature birth.

It took 17 years and four billion dimes to find a cure for Polio. I am confident that within our lifetime a cure for premature birth and many of the birth defects that are common today will be achieved. But, it will require people like you and me to make it happen.

Thank you again for your generosity – you are helping make a difference in the lives of babies!

No comments: